[Zope-PTK] providing a read-only interface

Mike Pelletier mike@digicool.com
Mon, 13 Mar 2000 16:16:02 -0500 (EST)

    Sorry for the delay, I had to check in an answer!  ;-)

On Sun, 12 Mar 2000, Philipp Dunkel wrote:

> my question:
>
>  What permissions do I have to set/change that every unknown user
>  can access the portal contents in read-only mode?

    It might take us a couple go-rounds before we're both talking about
the same thing.  I say this because it sounds to me as though you simply
want unauthenticated users to be able to view portal content, which they
can do 'out of the box'.  That is to say, that's how the PTK is configured
by default.  The content merely has to be published first.

    A Reviewer must first approve content for it to be publicly visible.
The owner of content may ask for a Reviewer to do this by using the
'Publish item' link.  (This is the same interface that the Reviewer uses
to approve an item.)  This request-approve cycle is called publishing.

    Whether or not you are allowed to view an item is determined by,
naturally enough, the 'View' permission.  If the Anonymous role has that
permission on the object, they can find it in the catalog and have at
least 'read-only' access.  The reviewing machinery manipulates the
permissions on objects as its review_state dictates.  If you want to
change who can view an object (who has 'read-only' access to it) for a
particular review_state, this can be done by overriding or extending the
portal's 'review_policy' method (just checked in).  Actually, any part of
the object's state can be used to make this decision, but this hook is
only called when the review_state changes.

    Hope there is some useful information in this shotgun-blast answer.
If not, I'll be happy to try again.

--
Mike Pelletier                          email: mike@digicool.com
Mild mannered software developer          icq: 7127228