[Zope-PTK] Squishdot - The Future

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Mon, 08 May 2000 16:21:48 +0100

>  >   0.4.0  (Target: 10 May 2000)
>  >
>  >     Aim to replace the old indexing with new indexing.
>  >
>  >       - ZCatalog.
>  >
>  >       - Fix MIME messages
>
> Obviously vital.  Do you think this will make Squishdot work with Zope
> CVS and have a reasonable chance of working with 2.2 when it appears?

Don't see why not... Guess we'll just have to try it and see ;-)

>  >   0.4.1  (Target: ? 2000)
>  >
>  >     Allow showError.dtml and showMessage.dtml to use site_header, etc
>
> Useful.

>  >   0.4.2  (Target: ? 2000)
>  >
>  >     Have a 'Plain Text' and 'HTML' Document type.
>
> Depending on when this is likely to happen, it may not be worth
> holding off on PTK work for, especially since PTK is also expected to
> support multiple doc formats.

Both 0.4.1 and 0.4.2 are stuff I'm doing for my personal Squishdot site,
http://www.bay-c.co.uk, which I fugure I might as well feed to the rest
of the people using Squishdot, especially as 0.5.0 is going to be a long
wait...

> Work on this can start in parallel with the above if we have someone
> to do it.  The main question is when will PTK be stable enough?

This is the first thing we need to look at :-)

> On the other hand,
> RIPP discussion threads may well be.  If someone is actually going to
> do them, that would probably be worth waiting for.

Hmm, the whole RIPP thing is something I don't get yet, anywhere where I
can be enlightened?

> - Move body content from Squishdot tree to SquishdotPTK
> tree. Should be just a straightforward recursive tree walker.

> - Replace author and email with a PTK Member reference.  Probably add
> an AnonymousCoward default member.  What properties to Members need?
> Should there be a separate SquishdotPTK member property sheet?
>
> - Replace subject with a ZTopic reference?  This seems the right way
> to go to me.

When I've had a good look at PTK, this will all mean stuff to me ;-)

> Will there any need or use for tools to aid in right and left box
> conversion?  Of course we don't know the answer until we have some
> idea how SquishdotPTK right/left boxes will be structured, but it's
> something to think about.

What I'm planning for 0.5.0 is to provide identical features to 0.4.x,
just based in PTK. I'm not even aiming to support membership or anything
like that, that'll probably be a 0.6.0 aim ;-)

cheers for the comments...

Chris