[Zope-PTK] "score" or "sortOrder" for PortalContent?

Chip Vanek chip@upcast.com
Fri, 19 May 2000 11:00:32 -0700

Hi,

I do think that this should be a standard part of PortalContents.
To allow reasonable flexability there should be two elements.  One
called "score or sortOrder" to represent derived importance based on
pageviews and date.  Another element called "rating" to hold explicit
user input on importance.  List views could be generated from one of
these "importance scores" or a weighted average.

Anyway my $0.02.

Chip Vanek

-----Original Message-----
From: zope-ptk-admin@zope.org [mailto:zope-ptk-admin@zope.org]On Behalf
Of Kevin Dangoor
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2000 10:45 AM
To: zope-ptk@zope.org
Subject: [Zope-PTK] "score" or "sortOrder" for PortalContent?

    In KM|Net News, I use a "score" property to determine the sort order.
This property is defined to be a combination of "importance" and release
time. I have other objects in which "score" is a single digit number,
followed by the title. This allows me to sort in a generally alphabetized
manner, with certain objects showing up above others. If you think of using
this in a Link directory (like Yahoo!), you could use this feature to put
your Picks at the top of the listing, like Yahoo! does.

    I think it would be generally useful to have something like this as a
standard part of PortalContent. What say you all? We can call it "sortOrder"
or "score" or anything that seems more appropriate...

Kevin
http://www.byproducts.com - Humor and Novelties