[Zope-PTK] Portal content wherever you want it

Dan L. Pierson dan@sol.control.com
Fri, 19 May 2000 17:45:27 -0400 (EDT)

Kevin Dangoor writes:
 >     This strips out the Membership stuff that exists in the current
 > PortalObject, which is probably a good thing. I think people's membership
 > requirements will vary a lot. Maybe the canned membership stuff can be part
 > of another component.

That's where I seem to be buried right now, so I haven't had time to
think a lot about your specific proposals.  I'll try to get to that
after I unbury -- probably early next week.

 >     What do you all think? Is it better for everything to be under the
 > PortalObject umbrella, or is it better to set things up in separate
 > components?

In the long term, I think that a lot of the PTK should be unbundled.
In the short term, I don't yet understand the interdependencies of the
current code well enough to be confident on how to do it.  Maybe
you've gotten further into that part of things.

One example the the current structure that I don't like, is that the
basic layout for all types of Portal Content is defined in dtml
methods hidden in PTKBase.  It seems to me that this is the sort of
things lots of people will want to change, so it needs to be much more
visible.

Dan Pierson