[Zope-PTK] Portal content wherever you want it

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
Sun, 21 May 2000 14:20:58 -0600

Kevin Dangoor wrote in part:

[...]

> Here's what I'm ultimately thinking: wouldn't it be neato if I could create
> a Document object in one part of the ZODB, and it doesn't get cataloged or
> anything. In another part, I configure a DataInjector for Document so that
> an IndexingAgent will catalog it and a RuleAgent will email people about the
> addition.
>
> In fact, I believe someone just sent a message to the Zope list within the
> last 24 hours about getting DTML Documents to automatically index themselves
> in ZCatalog.

Yup, someone did. And last night I found myself wanting to use that as
well. Of course, primarily due to playing with ZTopics... :-)

> > This all sounds rather complex, but that's probably due more to the funky
> > names than anything else.  In all probability the front-end name of
> > "DataInjector" will be "Customizer", and InjectionFolder will be "Folder
> > w/Content Customizer Support".  So, in plain English...  You put your
> > portal content objects somewhere underneath a folder with customizer
> > support if you want to customize them.  You add a customizer to that
> folder
> > for each kind of thing you want to customize.  And you put things in each
> > customizer for each data management, indexing, rule-handling, or other
> > customization you want to make.
>
> This is great! What happens in a scenario like this:
>
> InjectionFolder A
>   DataInjector for Documents
>   InjectionFolder B
>     DataInjector for Links
>     Document
>
> Will the Document in B be handled by A's DataInjector? In other words, are
> DataInjectors acquired?

I would expect (and prefer) 'Document' would be handeld by A's
DataInjector, but I may not fully grok them yet. I am poring over the
new docs, though, since I aim to use this for a Zope Advertising
System as soon as reasonable.

> Also, do you forsee any big performance penalty for all of this wonderful
> flexibility?

Ooohh, good question.