[Zope-PTK] PTK Status update

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Wed, 31 May 2000 16:59:10 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tres Seaver" <tseaver@digicool.com>
Subject: [Zope-PTK] PTK Status update

>  * First, I'd like to express my very deep gratitude to
>    Mike Pelletier for the hard work he put into bringing
>    the PTK this far.  Mike had a very tough job to do,
>    under difficult conditions, and deserves thanks from
>    DC and from the community.

I agree. Mike did a great job of getting PTK to this point!

>  * DC needs very much to have the PTK as a "simplifying
>    layer" above the often overwhelming complexity which
>    Zope presents to its users and programmers.  In
>    particular, it is essential that the PTK present
>    more the "product" interface (useful out-of-the-box)
>    and less the "platform" interface (some assembly
>    required).  I am working this afternoon on a document
>    describing this vision for the PTK, at:
>
>      <URL http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/ZWiki/OnceAndFuturePTK>

Let me restate this desire: I agree that PTK should provide a simplifying
layer. But, as much as possible, I'd like to see PTK built from components
that are useful to people who don't want the simplified interface. (This is
the crux of my Refactoring PTK page
http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/ZWiki/RefactoringPTK )

This is something that I think is quite plausible. I think ZPatterns 0.4.0
will provide great tools for creating very flexible PortalContent objects.
Experienced Zope users will be able to download Membership and the different
types of PortalContent and use them as they wish within Zope. They'll be
able to configure new content notifications and policies however they want
(and vary that from folder to folder). New users will run a wizard that will
give them a complete Portal, with the Membership and PortalContent review
policies already configured.

>  * DC is committing substantial resources to the PTK
>    over the next several weeks.  Paul asked me to take
>    on the role of Product Manager for the PTK, in close
>    coordination with Brian Lloyd in his role as Product
>    Manager for Zope, and has allowed me to draw on the
>    talents of these DC developers:
>
>     - Ethan Fremen
>
>     - Shane Hathaway
>
>     - Martijn Pieters
>
>     - Bob Shaw

This is great to hear! That is indeed a substantial commitment!

I'm looking forward to contributing to the effort.

Kevin