[Zope-PTK] Announcing ZPatterns 0.4.3b1 and LoginManager 0.8.8b1

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 10:08:11 -0500

At 06:37 AM 10/19/00 -0700, Michael Bernstein wrote:
>Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:
>>
>> Michael Bernstein wrote:
>>
>> > So which is it? Is the local roles fix in, or not?
>> >
>> > I'd also be very interested in hearing about this
>> > broken interface in Zope.
>>
>> The broken interface is that Zope requires a list of all users, which may
>> not be available.  Instead, you should be able to type in a user's name,
>> Zope checks if it exists, and if it does lets you set its local roles.
>
>Ah. So it's a broken *user* interface. That *is* a seriously
>needed improvement, I hope it gets folded into the Zope main
>distribution. Has it been submitted to the collector as a
>patch?

No.  Ty and I haven't gotten around to writing one yet, mainly because we
haven't done any applications yet that need manually-assigned local roles.
Originally Mike Pelletier was going to champion a simple fix based on
changing from a dropdown list to an input box, but other matters came up.
We think the best approach is going to be to have the UI attempt to ask the
nearest acl_users for an interface snippet that can be used.  That way, one
could have a search form with a pop-up selection window, or other fancy
alternatives, simply by adding them to the nearby LoginManager.