[Zope-PTK] Install documentation

Lucas Hofman lucas.hofman@oslo.pgs.com
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 10:16:52 +0200

Tres,

I experience the install docs as confusing and possibly incorrect:

1. When installing PTK0.8.2 over a fresh Zope-2.2:
   A: The docs do not tell me the userid to use when unpacking the
archive. This might be dependent on whether Zope is ment use use PCGI or
not. I had to chmod all dtml files to allow zope (running as nobody) to
read them.
   B: Do one has to import Wizards.zexp and/or DemoPortal.zexp. The docs
do not instruct to, but the files are there. And the README files tell
you to import them. Doing so get you an error (ID already in use), so I
assume the README files to be not correct.

2. When installing the PTK-0.9 upgrade:
   A: When unpacking in the Zope root one ends up with a
ZopePTK-0.9.0-src directory in the root. Can't be correct.
   B: After I move PTKBase, PTKDemo and ZCallable to their correct
location and fired up zope all products where OK. The version properties
are blank however. How to tell whether the upgrade was succesfull. Do I
need to import the .zexp files?
   C: When trying to import I get the "id already in use" error. Deleted
the existing products and try again. No errors this time. Version id
0.91 for the demoportal, 1.0 for the Wizard. Looks good.
   D: After a restart version of demoportal is set back to 0.8.2.
Strange. Might have something to do with the demoportal and wizard
directories in Products. After deleting those directories and
re-importing the new .zexp files the new version survive a reboot.
   E: How to check whether everything is OK now?

General:
   A: What is in the .zexp files, and why do they have to be there? Is
is possible to look into them without installing them?
   B: Include some simple tests along the way in the install docs, to
help the  first time installer determine whether he/she is still on the
right track.

It is very well  possible that these questions result from a lack of
understanding about products, Zope or python. If that is the case,
excuse me, but realize I am probalby not the only one..

Keep up the good work.
--
Lucas Hofman
PGS Seres                                        tel: +47 67514059