[Zope-PTK] Hooks & Overridable

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Tue, 05 Sep 2000 17:53:25 +0100

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> In my not very deep PTK experience, there was never a way to add hooks
> without subclassing.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> I just realized there are two more options:
>
> 4) Make these tools into ObjectManagers.  Then you could hook anything
> you want just by adding methods to the tools.

I thought the overidable interface was supposed to help in this area
too?

ie: you make 'hookable' methods overridable so you can just and a DTML
or Python Method into the portal object to override the specific method.

Maybe having the tools as object managers would help here:
You could still have the hookable bits overidable, but there overiding
methods would be grouped together and ther ewouldn't be any namespace
collisions.

Am I missing anything or is that what's happening already?

> 5) Make use of the observer pattern that was recently added.
> Unfortunately, I don't know where it is.

Can _anyone_ shed any light on where this has gone? ;-)

cheers,

Chris