[Zope-PTK] Avoiding confusion with names is good :-)

Paul Everitt paul@digicool.com
Sat, 09 Sep 2000 09:31:48 -0400

Chris Withers wrote:
> Out of interest, has a new name for 'the PTK' been decided on yet? If
> so, will it apply to the PTKDemo bit or the PTKBase bit?
>
> (please no-one say 'both' :-S)

How about "each"? :^)

Let me describe what we'd like to accomplish at DC for the PTK.  We
intend to take something that feels mostly like a "usable out of the
box" product for the Zope platform, and take it into the content
management market.  At the same time, we need the components exposed
with big shiny knobs for customization in our consulting business.

To make it perfectly clear, our product is Open Source, and our goal is
to make sure that other people/companies adopt it, add value to it, make
money from it, etc.  Thus I'd like to see the "son-of-PTK" to become a
unifier for content management in Zope.

With that in mind, I'm thinking about a name for the product, and then
perhaps tack on "toolkit" or "framework" (or whatever) for the
technology.  Alternatively, we come up with no name for the second part;
rather, we just name the important pieces (Membership, etc.).

I've come up with a bunch of names, falling into a series of strategies,
but I haven't gotten legal review on some of my assumptions. :^(

--Paul