[Zope-PTK] Integrating Membership with SMBUserFolder (was: [Zope-PTK] Integratingzope portal toolkit and ntuserfolder)zope portal toolkit and ntuserfolder)

Bill Anderson bill@noreboots.com
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 10:36:11 -0600

Monty Taylor wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> To implement this, (Membership providing user folders), why don't we make a User
> object inherit from Folder as well and make a Member his own member folder? That
> makes for a simple <dtml-in "REQUEST['AUTHENTICATED_USER']">, and would make for a
> simple system of separating Portal functionality from Membership. I think it should
> help the problem of having one user source and multiple portals. Conceivably, one
> would want one's content to follow them around? Or am I off my rocker?
> The one problem I could see with this is the implementation of a RDBMS backed
> data-source.
> Comments?
> Monty

Monty, there are several problems with this idea.  Here are three of
them.

One: User to Username mapping.
 If the username is the member's folder, handling username changes gets
very difficult. You have to change the userfolder's id. Once you do
this, all links that pointed to the old data are now broken.

Two:
  Not all portals want members to have folders. See my wiki on this for
details.

Three:
  This would make the folder url into:
http://your.portal.com/acl_users/Membername this is neither desirable,
nor acceptable.

Membership does not have any portal functionality, so there is no need
to seperate it. Membership provides Member capability, and management.
The Membership wiki has more details.

--
E PLURIBUS LINUX