[Zope-CMF] WebDAV, ZPT & CMF

Paul Everitt paul@digicool.com
Mon, 02 Apr 2001 06:16:54 -0400

Seb Bacon wrote:
> I've been having a lot of problems with WebDAV - I've not got round to
> investigating it properly yet, but there seems to be some problem with
> publishing to Member Folders in the CMFDefault over webDAV.  Outside
> Member Folders everything seems to work OK.   I've decided, though, that
> in the the context of the CMF WebDAV is not a good idea, since it
> removes any way of enforcing inclusion of metadata.  This decision
> conveniently means I won't need to look into the Member Folder issue,
> either...;-)

I also had some issues with saving in a member folder, but it only
seemed to happen when I was on the road giving a demo. :^)  For some
reason it always worked fine if I saved as a manager outside the portal.

For what it's worth, it *should* work, and moreover it *should* be the
preferred way to author.  So you're outta luck with your simplifying
assumption. :^)  While out-of-the-box you can't enforce the metadata,
you should be able to customize the PUT handler.  As you've probably
noticed, the CMF inserts any metadata in HTML or STX that you don't
provide, so it's part of the way there.

If you think it would be useful, I'll get someone to put up a howto in
the dogbowl about enforcing metadata.  You, though, will have to do your
part by:

a. Filling in a nice, reproducible bug regarding WebDAV and member
folders.

b. Help us with the scenario or use case that you'd like for PUT
handling.

--Paul