[Zope-CMF] WebDAV, ZPT & CMF

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey@Digicool.com
Mon, 02 Apr 2001 10:08:22 -0400

On 4/2/01 5:58 AM, "Seb Bacon" <seb@jamkit.com> wrote:

> Chris Withers wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Has anyone tried editing/customising a CMF instance via WebDAV?
>>
>> Can WebDAB used as a 'front end' to the CMF or is the normal web interface
>> the
>> onyl way for 'users' to interact with a site, as opposed to 'editors', etc,
>> if
>> you see what i mean?
>
> I've been having a lot of problems with WebDAV - I've not got round to
> investigating it properly yet, but there seems to be some problem with
> publishing to Member Folders in the CMFDefault over webDAV.  Outside
> Member Folders everything seems to work OK.   I've decided, though, that
> in the the context of the CMF WebDAV is not a good idea, since it
> removes any way of enforcing inclusion of metadata.  This decision
> conveniently means I won't need to look into the Member Folder issue,
> either...;-)

While it doesn't enforce Metadata, it does allow it (when it comes to the
CMF Document class).  You can fill in the metadata in <META> tags.  When
authoring HTML via FTP or the WebDAV source port in the CMF, all the meta
tags get sent to the client on subsequent edits (anything done after
creation).  Granted, one still has to know to look for the meta tags in
their editor, but can be done.  Enforcement?  None.  Mostly because it's
very hard to communicate with the clients well - you can't [easily] say "Oh,
you *need* to fill in a Subject and Description meta tag."

I'll look into WebDAV and GoLive into member folders a bit more today.

Jeffrey P Shell, jeffrey@Digicool.com
http://www.digicool.com/ | http://www.zope.org