[Zope-CMF] CMF and Z39.50 protocol

Michael R. Bernstein webmaven@lvcm.com
Mon, 02 Apr 2001 08:37:09 -0700

Norman Khine wrote:

> [snip]
> The CMF/Zope I believe addresses the interaction between the client and the
> end-user, and I suppose with the Standard Resource Metadata form a user can
> build and catalog the particular "object" as required.
> [snip]
> I think this will also enhance content provided by CMF as the Z39.50 search
> protocol was developed to give searchers the ability to query any catalogue
> or bibliographic file without needing to understand the different search
> interfaces provided by different software suppliers.

Personally, I'd be more interested (in the short term) for
Zope to be able to act as a Z39.50 *client*, instead.

Here is wxPresso, a Python implementation of the protocol:
http://www.bsn.com/Z39.50/wxPresso.html

Which I found on the following page:
http://nile.dmu.ac.uk/elise/el2_dels/z3950.htm

And here are some old postings to the Zope-dev list:
http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope-dev/1999-November/002068.html
http://classic.zope.org/pipermail/zope-dev/2000-May/004437.html

HTH,

Michael Bernstein.