[Zope-CMF] CMF and Z39.50 protocol

Norman Khine khine@bmpublications.co.uk
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 17:02:26 +0100

Thanks Micheal,
This is very interesting, there is not a lot of movement from CMF on this
subject, is there a particular reason for this, apart from the obvious once,
time.

I'll try this evening to set up the the server for FreeBSD and then link
this to MySQL from which maybe one can write a client for zope?!?

Norman

-----Original Message-----
From: webmaven [mailto:webmaven]On Behalf Of Michael R. Bernstein
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2001 4:37 PM
To: Norman Khine
Cc: Zope-Cmf
Subject: Re: [Zope-CMF] CMF and Z39.50 protocol

Norman Khine wrote:

> [snip]
> The CMF/Zope I believe addresses the interaction between the client and
the
> end-user, and I suppose with the Standard Resource Metadata form a user
can
> build and catalog the particular "object" as required.
> [snip]
> I think this will also enhance content provided by CMF as the Z39.50
search
> protocol was developed to give searchers the ability to query any
catalogue
> or bibliographic file without needing to understand the different search
> interfaces provided by different software suppliers.

Personally, I'd be more interested (in the short term) for
Zope to be able to act as a Z39.50 *client*, instead.

Here is wxPresso, a Python implementation of the protocol:
http://www.bsn.com/Z39.50/wxPresso.html

Which I found on the following page:
http://nile.dmu.ac.uk/elise/el2_dels/z3950.htm

And here are some old postings to the Zope-dev list:
http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope-dev/1999-November/002068.html
http://classic.zope.org/pipermail/zope-dev/2000-May/004437.html

HTH,

Michael Bernstein.