[Zope-CMF] Sharing bits of Skins between sites

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:09:46 -0400

Chris Withers wrote:

> Shane Hathaway wrote:
> >
> > Ah, I see.  Nope, you can't do that.  You might consider creating a
> > product that registers a DirectoryView, however.
>
> Sorry, now I'm showing my lack of knowledge. I thought DirectoryView's were the
> things that picked up stuff from the filesystem?

That's right--my suggestion is to put the files on the filesystem
instead of in the ZODB.

> What I'm thinking of doing to get around my problem is to haev a
> 'PlaceholderFolder' object that when asked for it's contents will
> restrictedTraverse off somewhere else and get it's contents from there. Then I
> can haev one fodler up in the root and add placeholders in the portal_skins of
> any CMF instances that I want to 'share' that skin layer with.
>
> Am I making any sense? (where's the red bull when I need it ;-)

Yes you are.  And no you can't do that. :-)  Not currently, anyway.  It
would break security if you could.  That's not to say there isn't a way
that it could be done safely.  Perhaps you're looking for a portal_skins
derivative that uses simply restrictedTraverse() to construct layers.

Shane