[Zope-CMF] Saving custom data in a MemberData-object from python

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 20:57:41 +0200 (CEST)

Shane Hathaway writes:
 > Sometimes even English doesn't have enough words. :-)  portal_membership
 > is responsible only for the member database.  In a multi-tier
 > architecture, it's the object that isolates the application from the
 > user database.
 >
 > portal_registration is an application-level service.  Generally the
 > details of membership storage and the details of member policies vary
 > independently, so it makes sense to have separate objects for them.
 >
 > >   "registration" should restrict itself to the task expressed
 > >   by its name: "registration".
 >
 > .... or we need to rename the object.  It originally was restricted to
 > registration issues, but it turns out that policy that governs
 > registration usually applies beyond registration.
Of course, one can look at it that way.

However, "membership" is such a good term - for the management
of members (add, delete, change, access), but does not
fit so well with the technical aspect of separating the
application from the user database.
"membership" has a strong application connotation.
The technical object could get a nasty name, maybe
"user_adapter", "member_adapter", "user_wrapper"....

The discussion is only about terms but good terms help
intuition and understanding very much ....

Dieter