[Zope-CMF] [ RFC ] Registration / Membership tool change

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 19:35:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Shane Hathaway wrote:

> Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
> > the proposal is to remove the call to setMemberProperties from the
> > registration tool and to make this call inside addMember on the membership
> > tool instead. this necessitates passing all member properties into the
> > membership tool addMember, which would be the only change to the interface.
>
> What is the motivation?
>
> Right now the membership tool is not aware of the existence of
> portal_registration, similar to the way a database is not aware of the
> applications that use it.  This change would break that encapsulation.

Oops, I guess it's been a long day.  setProperties() would break
encapsulation, but setMemberProperties() wouldn't.  Just be careful to set
up acquisition correctly--in the default implementation you should
probably copy the current behavior.

Shane