[Zope-CMF] CMFBoringContent.

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
Sat, 4 Aug 2001 12:33:59 -0400

> I know that's a rather biased opinion, but I am still waiting for somebody
> to explain me what the CMF can really do to make content management
> application development easier instead of just "less flexible" ...

I think all the things you mention are things that really should be
automated or there should at least be a common idiom for making them happen.
However, since the CMF is in somewhat of an emergent state (like Zope was a
year ago), there isn't.  I don't think this has anything to do with the
architecture, however, just the current implementation.

The CMF architecture has some clear advantages over bare Zope for developing
content management solutions.  I think the concept of skins is very
powerful, not really as a technology, but more as a development style.  The
idea that there is a clear separation of content vs. presentation vs.
actions, and that the presentation provides a view of the content whereas
actions do something to content is one that Zope doesn't espouse very well
without CMF.  Additionally, the idea that a portal type can be based on more
than one meta type, and that different actions and skins can be associated
with them provides a somewhat limited version of the same thing that
ZClasses were meant to do, but with less magic.

To me, everything else in the CMF is less important than those two features.

- C