[Zope-CMF] CMF for e-commerce

David Pravec dave@dodejto.cz
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 21:10:01 +0200

> Hello,
>
> I am evaluating the possibility to use zope and cmf as the base platform
> for an ecommerce.

> All the elements seem to be here. (Now I am thinking on SSL, that I must
> use when a user enters private datas. Now I am trying to configure SSL and
> user authentification)
>
> What is the expert's opinion ?
> Maybe some ecommerce module could be developped ?

I am not an expert in CMF, but i will try to share my thoughts.
CMF is very good framework for doing e-commerce.

There are some weak points I see on CMF:
 * lack of good documentation /i am learning cmf now - source is my friend/
 * lack of  fully transactional mail service
 * still not very much stable

Zope is most advanced Opensource application server and python is the best
language I have seen. There is really no good competition in opensource world.
So I will sure use CMF for my future development of community portals, e-commerce
systems  and marketplaces.

I will try to make opensource, distributed, secure marketplace based on CMF.

When ?
In production state it will be if:
   * ZPT stable, in zope (it will ease development)
   * Zope is 2.5+
   * CMF is rock stable and with good documentation
   * CMF is easily localizable (just skins are not enough) and with good unicode support
   * There is fully transactional mail-in/mail-out service
   * There is rock solid service for logging of events and backup/recovery of transactions
              to be able to recover last transactions in case of hardware failure....

Till this time it is just very nice tool to play and devel, but (in my humble opinion)
not ready for MISSION CRITICAL e-commerce system.

Because time will change many things  I now propose to easily and slowly start opensource project
devoted to e-commerce, cmf based. It should  create FRAMEWORK
for development of e-commerce systems, and marketplaces.

Is there anyone willing to help/use such framework?
 I have set up minimal zwiki page:
               http://www.zope.org/Members/alekibango/CMFECF

		David Pravec
		alekibango on #zope