[Zope-CMF] Why is the news editing different from doc editing?

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 08:19:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Frank McGeough wrote:

> CMF 1.1, Zope 2.3.3
> Just curious as to why news editing is different from doc editing. In doc
> editing I can tell the users to write their stuff in Microsoft Word and use
> their conversion to HTML and upload it --- or use structured text. Both of
> these options are o.k. for my users. But for the news item, the editing form
> is different. Their is no radio button to switch between structured text &
> HTML and their is no opportunity to upload. I understand that I can modify
> the news edit form myself but I'd like to understand the motivation of the
> originators.

In its primeval form, the NewsItem class was supposed to be a
"short & sweet" Document, intended primarily to drive interfaces
like the 'news_box' and 'recent_news' methods.  It allows editing
both the "lead paragraph", which is the DublinCore.Description,
along with the body of the story.  The rationale was that the
Description was often displayed on "summary" interfaces, and so
needed to be "easier" to edit with the content.

As it stands today, the only *substantive* distinction between
NewsItem and Document is the signature of their 'edit' methods;
perhaps you would be better off deleting the 'addNewsItem' from
the "NewsItem" type object's factory method and replacing it with
'addDocument'.

Tres.