[Zope-CMF] Coments on Z2.5b1 with CMF and friends

Bill Anderson bill@immosys.com
01 Dec 2001 15:49:02 -0700

OK, figured I'd try it out, using zope 2.5, python 2.1.1 and CMF*

CMF Version: Checkout from yesterday.

CMF Site
--------

New -> Document -> Upload STX file:
Silently fails. No data is uploaded, but it doesn't complain. This is
bad.

The default Index page shows that the Member folder doesn't have a
title, resulting in a screen with a folder icon, but no text.

CMF Skins in general
--------------------
  It seems to me that with two or tree "full" skins, there is going to
be an *awful* lot of folders present in the skin tree. What about having
in the skins folder, an overall skin tree such that we have:
Portal Skins
  Skin Name
   content
   generic
   etc..
 Other Skin
   content
   generic
   etc..

Anyway, just a thought. Perhaps the main skin name folder could be a
"transparent portal folder", and the sub-skin folders could have
prefixes?

CMF News Items
--------------
More of a request ... how about a structured-text/html radio button, and
a means of uploading the body, pretty please?

CMF Collector
-------------
I had hopes for this one. Unfortunately, it *requires* ZPT, which is
installed as base zope now. The sad part is, it makes it completely
incompatible with other skins. how about a default, basic skin, please?
In order for Collector to be integrated, it requires an understanding of
ZPT, in order to convert it to dtml. I would say that while DTML is
still the default, CMF* products should come with dtml skin objects.
Including a ZPT version would be nice, but not required.

Installation. It appears that this one strays from the de facto install
procedure. On all other CMF installs, the module is "CMFFoo.Install",
and the method is "install". This one changes that. It'd be a simple
change, really.

CMF Wiki
--------
Looks good, integrates well. Needs a way to set the Wiki Title w/o using
ZMI.

CMF Decor
---------
Has an Install method, but is not documented that it is needed.

CMF Plone
--------
Seems to do something with the ZPT skin, I think it is a matter of
replacing a "'ZPT'" entry in the installer, but I haven't verified yet.
As I remember, it duplicates the ZPT skin.

CMFUserManOrg
Horribly broken. Requires CMFCoreProperty, which seems to break since it
cannot find a "CMFBTree" product.

Anyway, those are my initial comments.

--
Bill Anderson