[Zope-PTK] Topics support in PTK

Tres Seaver tseaver@digicool.com
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 23:44:30 -0500

Sigve Tjora wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I saw on http://dev.zope.org/Projects/PTK/rqmts/project_charter that you
> are planning Topics, qua "virtual folders" support for PTK.
>
> When do you think that can be implemented?

I expect to see some topics work checked into CVS this week.

> How will Topics integrate with the PTK?

Topics will be "addable content", like other content objects,
with their own metadata.  They will, in effect, function as
"canned catalog queries", and will offer a variety of
presentations, as time and resources allow:

 * A folderish view (matching objects will seem to be "in" the
   topic);

 * RSS/RDF, for syndication;

 * Perhaps tree-like views for nested topics;

 * "other duties as assigned" :)

> Is there any work done on the subject?

We have two possible implementations.  One starts from ZTopic,
and works to make it "portalish".  The other is simpler (no caching
of result sets), but easier to configure, and is already "portalish".

> Thanks for all help!

You are most welcome;  thanks for the feedback!

> The PTK/CMS has really been improving lately. The design seems
> much cleaner to me now than before. I am really looking forward
> to the release of version 1.0, allthough I am developing a CMS
> with the current CVS-checkout.

Tres.