[Zope-PTK] Seeking advice on mail server setup

Andrew Sawyers andrew@digicool.com
Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:57:48 -0500

If your mail server can utilize LDAP or some other database for
authentication, you could look at using LoginManager for zope and remove the
Portals' acl_users folder.  This would have to be working in the root of the
Zope instance, but this would allow you to keep passwords easily in sync
between the 2 systems.  I'm not to current on the features of the newer mail
servers out there these days, but most of the features you want in regards
to mail should easily be handled with the mail server and irrelevant to
Zope.  I'd suspect that something Like Cyrus (http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/)
might work well for what you want.  The Cyrus SASL protocol framework is
used by SMTP, IMAP, ACAP, LDAP, and other standard protocols, but at quick
glance doesn't seem to support but only 3 authentication schemes (unix
/etc/passwords, kerberos and anonymous).  CommuniGate might also be worth
looking into (http://www.stalker.com/CommuniGatePro/default.html).
Hope this helps some.
Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: zope-ptk-admin@zope.org [mailto:zope-ptk-admin@zope.org]On Behalf
Of Dan L. Pierson
Sent: Tuesday, February 13, 2001 9:49 AM
To: Itai Tavor
Cc: zope-ptk@zope.org
Subject: Re: [Zope-PTK] Seeking advice on mail server setup

Itai Tavor <itai@optusnet.com.au> writes:

> As a first step I'd like to set up mail accounts for all the members. I
> thought about simply creating Linux accounts for everyone, but I think it
> would be best to avoid doing that, both for security and ease of
management
> reasons. So I'm looking for a way to set up these accounts, and for a mail
> server to set them up on, that will support my long term feature
> requirements. BTW, this will be set up on a RedHat Linux system.
>

> These requirements are:
>
> - Read and compose mail inside the portal
> - POP access from outside the portal
> - Create/edit/delete mail server accounts from inside the portal
> - Sync mail server POP passwords to portal member passwords
> - Place restrictions on outgoing mail by message size, target address,
etc.
> - Filter incoming mail
>
> Any suggestions?

You might look at qmail with vmailmgr, I think it provides the support
you want, though you will need some external methods that execute
commands in the context of a specific normal user (who could probably
be the Zope user).  We're using qmail here, but our current main
server works with IMAP and doesn't use vmailmgr -- we're looking at
a qmail/pop/vmailmgr config for another server once someone has time
to do it.

Dan Pierson