[Zope-PTK] Can PTK scale in time and users?

Kurt D. Bollacker kurt@longnow.org
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 18:08:55 -0800

I am developing a multi-language collaboration/archive site that needs
to manage:

1. user accounts where users can have one or more roles
2. submission of documents with/without moderation depending on role
3. Discussion/commentary of submitted documents
4. An administrative interface for user accounts

It seems the PTK is ready for this application "out of the box".
However, I need the data in this system to be archival and visible.
By this I mean:

Archival: The data can be easily backed up independent of the software
          in a non-binary format.  The data is archived in a format
          that makes restoring only part of it possible.

Visible: Non-zope, non-python applications will be able to at least
         read the data (not necessarily write) even if Zope is not
         running.

One possible solution is that the data be stored in an SQL database
instead of a ZODB.  Is there a wholesale means of doing that? Is there
another possible solution?  I've looked at mysqlUserFolder to handle
the user accounts (it partially works with PTK) but seen nothing for
items 2. and 3.

My current alternative is to recreate much of the PTK functionality
(probably would end up being of inferior quality) from scratch simply
because I cannot do without the archival and visible qualities.  I
really *want* to use the PTK, but am at a loss to bridge the gap.

Suggestions are *eagerly* welcome!

								Kurt :-)

                            Kurt D. Bollacker
                         The Long Now Foundation
              P.O. Box 29462, San Francisco, CA 94129-0462
                    415-561-6582   kurt@longnow.org