[Zope-PTK] Impressions of the PTK from my Christmas project

Simon Coles simon@nipltd.com
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 18:16:03 +0000

Hi,

Over the holidays I spent a few hours messing with the PTK, with the
intention of using it as a base for the pdworld.org site I am
intending to create. I jotted down my impressions and sent it to some
of the people internally to NIP, and Chris Withers suggested I
forward it to this list to give some real world feedback from a PTK
amateur.

For background, I'm reasonably familiar with Zope, Linux etc. I don't
get to do real work that often, so tend to lose touch with the detail
of things until a holiday comes up and I get a chance to get my hands
dirty. So consider me a reasonably aware techie who hasn't spent much
time with Zope recently. Given it was a holiday, I wasn't benefiting
from the adult aid and assistance of my NIP colleagues either :-)

Because this is personal stuff, I'm looking for things that I can get
done quickly before my wife gets really upset with me :-(.

pdworld.org would be a site which people could "Join" and get a
username and password. From there could create documents in their own
folder with information on events, resources, etc. In short, plain
and simple PTK stuff (I hope :-).

So I need to customise the look & feel, create some new types of
content, and generally get the thing into a state where non-techie
people can use it (my audience will be quite new to The Internet). My
understanding of the PTK is that it should provide a base where I can
do this with a few hours work.

Unfortunately, from my experience it seems it is not yet something
someone like me can just plug in, customise a bit, and get it working
(however primitive the site may be) before my wife starts complaining.

I'm pretty sure I could create my own portal content, and I have now
tracked down where all the look & feel is. However, its still not
clear in my mind what happens to my customisation over upgrades. Do I
customise DemoPortal or create my own? What's the
advantages/disadvantages? I did read the mailing list archives but
must confess I wasn't sure what to do here.

There are niggly little bugs in places, validation etc. isn't
finished (confusing error messages), and as a whole the thing is
nowhere near finished in lots of areas so I would have to spend a lot
of time on ironing out little problems to make it usable.

It was a pain to install as well, and I had to try a number of
versions of Zope and the PTK before I got something that worked. CVS
checkout or a download? With or without the bits? Moving stuff
around.... do I really need to import this? Where to? If I wasn't
experienced with Zope I would have gone completely nuts just trying
to install it.

My conclusion was that the PTK isn't quite there yet for the project
I had in mind, and I should probably wait until version 1.0. It is
however, frustratingly close in functionality to what I need. Bear in
mind when I came to this conclusion I had a choice of doing
pdword.org in the PTK or another project, so when it looked like the
PTK wasn't going to fall out of bed easily I did the other project.
The Zope-based pdnews.org will be launched in a week, so I did get to
have some productive fun over the holidays :-)

I hope this real world feedback from a hope-to-be PTK user is
helpful. I pass it on because I suspect my experience may be shared
by other people who want to use the PTK for a project but can't get
involved in the detail. If anyone wants more info about my
experiences, please ask.

I'll give the PTK another go in a month or so's time.....

Simon
--
--------- My opinions are my own, NIP's opinions are theirs ----------
Simon J. Coles                                 Email: simon@nipltd.com