[Zope-PTK] Impressions of the PTK from my Christmas project

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Tue, 02 Jan 2001 15:53:52 -0500

Simon Coles wrote:
> My conclusion was that the PTK isn't quite there yet for the project
> I had in mind, and I should probably wait until version 1.0. It is
> however, frustratingly close in functionality to what I need. Bear in
> mind when I came to this conclusion I had a choice of doing
> pdword.org in the PTK or another project, so when it looked like the
> PTK wasn't going to fall out of bed easily I did the other project.
> The Zope-based pdnews.org will be launched in a week, so I did get to
> have some productive fun over the holidays :-)

You brought up three concerns:

- retention of customization over upgrades
- small bugs
- difficult to install

IMHO the reason behind all three of those concerns is ZClasses.
Currently the PTK relies heavily on them.  ZClasses are a fine idea but
not quite baked.  The problems with ZClasses are being worked on, but I
think the solution for the PTK is to eliminate the dependencies on
ZClasses.

Additionally, I believe the right answer to customizability is "true"
skins.  We have been pondering them for months but, just before the new
year, a little inspiration came that simultaneously solved a problem
with transparent folders and made skins more viable.  The PTK has
something of the concept of skins since it lets you copy a folder full
of skin objects into a portal root.  But "true" skins would not need to
be copied.  I'm making an effort to release the work this week.

> I'll give the PTK another go in a month or so's time.....

We'll be happy to see you back.

Shane