[Zope-PTK] How-To requested

Lucas Hofman lucas.hofman@oslo.pgs.com
Fri, 05 Jan 2001 13:39:10 +0100

With regular intervals one sees messages on this list expressing
frustration on the complexity in customizing the PTK. For me a very
recognizable feeling. When one wants to use the PTK for real work there
is a very steep learning curve. This will effectively prevent the PTK
from ever coming in widespread use.

In the last year the architecture of the PTK has changed considerable,
resulting in a lot of work, which might (?) invalidate some
documentation written more than a few months ago.

This situation calls for a How-To, which will give developers a fast
start in changing the distributed PTK and which will give them
confidence in the process.

Requirements to the How-To:
1. Up to date. It should work on the latest tar and the current CVS
version
2. It should contain an example on adding a content type (i.e. a variety
on news item). Including creating a wizard for the new type
3. It should contain an example of implementing a policy (i.e. only
members can view content)
4. It should contain an example of changing the layout.
5. All this in a 'good practice', making creation of a new portal with
the changed made possible. Some remarks on how to handle updates in
DemoPortal, PTKDemo and PTKBase without losing the changes made.
6. There should be a link to this How-To on the main PTK page.

I would like to contribute on this, but heck, I am struggling with
exactly these points myself. However, if the readers of this list can
contribute with a snipped here or there, than I will collect them and
build a How-To out of them.

Regards,
--
Lucas Hofman
PGS Seres                                        tel: +47 67514059