[Zope-PTK] CVS: ZopePTK - DemoMembershipTool.py:1.3

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 18:55:21 -0500

Chris Withers wrote:

> > Always changeOwnership() to something that really is a user, not a member
> > masquerading as a user.
>
> Okay, I've been a bit behind on the PTK, but surely members are just users
> with extensions?
>
> Where should I look to understand what this means?

The new portal_memberdata tool (not the existing tool named
portal_membership) can wrap any user, retrieved from any user folder,
with member properties.  This is actually a very similar to what
ZPatterns/LoginManager provides, but much simpler and with fewer
dependencies.

Additionally, the CookieCrumbler product (which I might rename, what do
you think?) can make any user folder authenticate using cookies.

That means you'll soon be able to drop an
LDAPUserFolder/NTUserFolder/ZopeTupperwareUserFolder into a portal and
have it just work.

Or, if you prefer, you can delete the user folder, the portal_memberdata
tool, and the cookie crumbler and add a LoginManager.  The PTK will work
that way too.

Shane