[Zope-PTK] How skins work

Lucas Hofman lucas.hofman@oslo.pgs.com
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 15:10:14 +0100

Tres Seaver wrote:

> Thanks for the assessment.  I'd like to clarify a couple of points,
> if I may:
>
>  * The skins stuff is aimed dead at the problem of allowing portal
> managers
>    to make "safe" customizations (ones which they won't have to throw
>    away when upgrading the PTK).
>
>  * CVS as the "preferred mode" of delivering the PTK will go away when
> we
>    have gotten to "1.0" (please have a look at the "roadmap to 1.0",
>      http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK/ZWiki/OnePointOh, if you haven't
>    already.)
>
>  * We will likely have a branching strategy for managing changes to the
>    released version, much like the current Zope strategy.  Getting to
> that
>    point may wait on us (DC) shifting the way we do CVS (which is in the
>    works anyhow).
>
> The jitter you have experienced (0.7 - present) is largely due to the
> fact
> that we have been using the PTK in consulting engagements, and have
> therefore
> discovered problems with some of its earlier assumptions;  we tried to
> make
> a single, "big" incompatibility with the 0.8 release, and to make
> subsequent
> changes less disruptive.  I hope that the new architecture (and skins!)
> make future upgrades saner, too.
>
> Tres.

I will be there. Although this (and previous) contributions were showing
the frustration I feel now and then I do not want to be negative to the
project. Let me  know if I can contribute with some end-user (site
developer) testing or with documentation.

Lucas
--
Lucas Hofman
PGS Seres                                        tel: +47 67514059