[Zope-PTK] Help w\PTK setup

Tres Seaver tseaver@digicool.com
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 23:19:13 -0500

Jon Franz wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm trying to install the PTK and use it on a NT4 box
> running zope 2.2.5 with a MS SQL Server 7.0 for the
> storage of my membership data.  I grabbed the tarball
> (ver 0.9.2) from http://www.zope.org/Products/PTK, but
> and have created the DB from the documentation found
> on Zope.org, but get errors from SQL server durring the
> final step of running of the 'add portal' wizard.
>
> >From the documentation I've seen - since the 0.9.2 release
> the PTK has switching to using LoginManager for membership -
> but I can't find a 'stable' snapshot release, or at least,
> at http://starship.python.net/crew/jwt/zope/ZopePTK/ I find
> daily snapshots - but what day's snapshot should I use?
>
> Is there a recomended snapshot newer then 0.9.2 that is
> known to be in working order with LonginManager?
> I want to use a newer version and use LoginManager with my
> MS SQL DB, but since this is for a client I can't afford to
> use a buggy/incomplete/broken release.  Please point me
> in the right direction.

I had intended to make a "0.9.3" snapshot, but am now close
enough to a "major upgrade" (i.e., to "1.0") that I won't
make one.

In your shoes, I would be using a *very* recent CVS version
of the PTK (actually, that is exactly what I *am* doing;
I am going to migrate a client tomorrow from 0.9.2-era PTK).
The newer version is both cleaner to install, and safer in the
teeth of the inevitable updates we will make to it.

On an NT box, I would recommend using WinCVS to get (and keep
current!) the CVS version of the PTK:

  http://www.wincvs.org

Or you can wait the week or two until 1.0 ships.

Tres.