[Zope-CMF] Re: Our CMF-CMS Demo .. needs a workflow

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 09:54:14 +0100

I'm with you on the workflow.  It seems to me that the existing
DCWorkflow stuff is the way to go.  Most of what you are looking for
can be incorporated without too much trouble.

> - workflow with more than one object

I presume you mean, for example, the ability to publish a group of
items at the same time.  Can you give an example of when you might
need to do this?  I'm thinking there are various scenarios where it's
desirable, and they might have different possible solutions.

> - higher-level publish/review workflow with several People involved

Do you mean some kind of routing / ticketing mechanism?
e.g. Fred approves It, then it goes to Lisa to be approved, then
Denise can edit it, then Fred publishes it.

> - workflow needed for group-ware functionality

Not sure what you mean here.  There have been discussions elsewhere
about using workflows with local roles to manage groups, did you read
them?

> I think about to implement an optional replacement for portal_workflow.

I don't think the correct implentation would put all this
functionality in a workflow tool: much of it could be accomplished by
incorporating new tools / structures into the existing workflow
framework, or even writing a new Workflow (not a new WorkflowTool).

For example, routing can be achieved by creating a chain of states
with transitions which correspond to passing the buck between
individuals.  Each transition updates a 'notify' property on the
objects' metatdata which triggers a message to be sent to the relevant
user.

The 'more than one object' scenario could be acheived
simply by using folder containment and aquisition of security.  You'd
just publish the containing folder.  For a more sophisticated way of
doing it, something could be built on top of ken's OrganisationObjects
(http://cmf.zope.org/rqmts/proposals/OrganizationObjects).

seb