[Zope-CMF] Suggestion - Modular Documentation

martin van nijnatten euroibc@solair1.inter.nl.net
Thu, 05 Jul 2001 11:24:47 +0200

> * Chris Withers <chrisw@nipltd.com> [010705 09:12]:
> > seb bacon wrote:
> > >
> > > ( use StructuredTextNG, not HTML ... )
> >
> > StructedText, why? I gotta agree with Jon, why come up with another form of
> > markup language when you have to translate it from there into another one
> > anyway?!
>
> Well, there's not much in it, but here's my reasoning:
>
> 1) You can read stx straight from the filesystem as plain text , which
>    is nice for developers
> 2) You don't have to translate it - it happens for you :-P
> 3) There's supposedly the promise of being able to output it as ps,
>    pdf, etc.
> 4) We'd have to come up with a standard for which tags to use if we
>    went with html, whereas stx enforces a decision for you.
>
> seb

We just started a project to "convert" all Ms-Word documentation into Structured
Text.
The only _real_  problem at the moment is tables !
Tables with 2 columns could be represented in STX (see Zope book) but we really need
tables with more than
2 columns. I really wouldn't know how to handle that. Go back to docbook (via XML
editor) as editing tool ? Naaaahhhhh:
too difficult. The appealing thing about STX is it's simplicity.

Any suggestions ?

Martin