[Zope-CMF] Re: A better CMFworkflow - XML configuration

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk@adelphia.net
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 23:12:24 -0400

I've make a quick representation of the DCWorkflow's configuration
properties in an XML document. When time permits, something like this
will be the source document from which I'll try an XSLT transform to
make an SVG workflow diagram. I'm putting it out there early to foster
the discussion. This is more or less the config info our best workflow
tool stores today, maybe it will help us to spec out what else we need
workflow to do going forward.

http://cmf.zope.org/Members/JeffK/dcworkflow.xml/view
Which may still be waiting on "published" approval.
Gotta respect the Workflow, you know :)

Regarding the question of whether adherance to a standard XML schema is
necessary, I wouldn't want to slow down the Workflow tools developers,
or limit their flexibility this early in the game. A standard schema
*would* be great, but a clear XML serialization and deserialization
that's close to their particular object mapping is still be a good
start, and its all we really need to try out the concept of
Diagram-based configuration. We can XSLT into any number of schemas
after the fact.

If the XMLObject project was ready, we could even try this on existing
workflow tools without distracting them at all. It sounds like that will
someday provide XML (de)serialization.

Interim dcworkflow.xml download link:
http://jtk.cx/dcworkflow.xml (4.5kb)