[Zope-CMF] To CMF or not to CMF

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:31:00 +0100

* Bill Anderson <bill@libc.org> [010710 06:38]:
> On 10 Jul 2001 02:22:27 +0200, Arkaitz wrote:
> > The site is for a Non-profit organization that is mid-sized. They want
> > to be able to publish all the information they have, which will change
> > over time, plus basic news and little more. This is not going to be a
> > "portal", with lots of members, etc. Just the minimum editors/members
> > that will write the content in STX. Our job is basically to provide a
> > design and the tools for them to publish the information. The site won't
> > be in English.
> >
> > Now, the question is, is this kind of site well suited for the CMF? I
> > guess being in the list I am, the responses will be quite possitive ;-),
> > but I would appreciate any reasoned answer regarding our doubt. The CMF
>
> In this case, I believe CMF is the right choice. here are some reasons:
> The functionality of the site *_WILL_* increase. they may want the simple
> stuff now, but just you wait, it will not stay that way. I have yet to see
> a site such as the one you describe stay that simple for long. CMF will make
> it easy to add most things in the future, with an integrated 'look and feel'.

I'd just add that I agree, it _is_ the correct tool in most cases IMO,
but don't expect a 'silver bullet'.  There's still a fairly steep
learning curve, since if you want to do things in a pleasant way, you
have to get down and dirty with the source - there's not exactly a
wealth of documentation.  But basically, think of it as an enhanced
zope.  The only reason *not* to use it is if you're on a really right
schedule and you already know some other system like the back of your
hand.  However, if you've got a little space, you'll find the CMF well
worth the effort.

seb