[Zope-CMF] How to save extra data with CMF-object

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 10:17:11 +0100

* Tres Seaver <tseaver@palladion.com> [010712 23:16]:
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Robert Rottermann wrote:
>
> > Do I have to "misuse" one of the standard metadata fields I do not need, or
> > is there an other way to go.

< snip >

> It turns out that CMFDefault.DefaultDublinCoreImpl derives
> (for unknown reasons) from PropertyManager;  therefore, virtually
> all content objects can have custom properties added to them!
>
> As to whether this is a Good Thing (tm), I am of a divided mind.
> I can't see any reason that DDCI *needs* to have such a base
> class, but it does make "quick-and-dirty" custom schema simple.

What are the arguments for / against, in your mind?

I guess one Bad Thing is that the PropertyManager is not very
OOP-minded / NewReligionesque; however, to encapsulate it a bit
better, it wouldn't be very difficult to add getPropertyFor() and
setPropertyFor() methods to the PropertiesTool, perhaps?

seb