[Zope-CMF] Zope component model and CMF

Kent Polk kent@goathill.org
17 Jul 2001 16:41:26 GMT

On 5 Jul 2001 14:20:00 -0500, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Here at DC a few of us have been working on a component model for Zope.
> We have roughly defined what components should be like in Zope and have
> written some documentation.  The next step is to update CMF to be fully
> driven by the component model.
>
> So I wrote up a document describing how I think CMF will change.  I am
> seeking input from everyone involved in CMF.  Comments encouraged.
>
> http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/ApplyComponentModelToCMF

->To accomplish this, the portal root will have a __bobo_traverse__() method
->looks for a traversal adapter appropriate to the content being traversed.
->CMF tool that would have all of the necessary information for supplying a
->traversal adapter is the portal_actions tool. Currently it looks for object
->actions, workflow actions, and discussion actions to supply a list to the
->actions box. In fact, in order for the proposed "memento bags" idea (see
->zope-cmf@zope.org) to work with discussions, discussions will need to be
->implemented with modified travers

Would this be able to address my problem with implementing proxy
folderish items (a lot like your Transparent Folder behavior),
where each proxy client is associated with a particular proxy
(server)?

Will the new content view components be set up for folders also,
so that folderish objects can participate in being able to have
their view methods changed? Please, Please, Please

This stuff looks great. The problems these changes address were
causing me all sorts of grief since I couldn't find reasonable
solutions for them. I have several CMF Items which *almost* work
as needed, but one or more of these niggling problems have kept me
from a clean solution for them.

Any idea of the timeframe? If soon, I will just suspend my hacking
on these things and work on other issues, like workflow with Ulrich
:^)

We are still trying to figure out how to implement project-centric
workflow for the CMF, in addition to document-centric workflow.