[Zope-CMF] CMF - not in your face?

J. Cameron Cooper jccooper@rice.edu
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 09:05:12 -0500

>How much of CMF can be hidden? All of it?

Yep. Just go and delete all the skins. Hides it pretty effectively.

Sorry. Not very constructive, I know, but so wide open.

>Most sites are divided up into the large number of people who use the site
>by browsing/searching; and the (relatively) small number of people who
>actually contribute content. Why is CMF setup so that all the CMF stuff is
>visible to every user?

That's not necessarily true. The CMF used to be the PTK (Portal Toolkit)
and in a portal, it makes sense to always have a little box out to the
side that reminds one of one's current role. When using the CMF in a
largely information management and publishing role, the default setup
begins to make less sense.

>How would you go about hiding CMF from those large
>number of people. That is, no indication for the casual user of the web site
>that CMF is being used at all? If I had a URL that a contributor would have
>to go to login and then alter the actions_box DTML method would that do it?

That's how I would do it. I'm afraid I can't tell you off the top o' me
head *exactly* how to do it, but probably the easiest thing to do with
the default setup would be to provide a login url that has the actions
box and then wrap the one in standard_html_header with a dtml-if tag
that's only true when the user is authenticated. Search the list or docs
or source for "authenticated user" to find out how.

        ---jcc
    (not authenticated)