[Zope-CMF] CMF Weekly News number 6

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 20:28:03 +0100

I'm pleased to announce the return of the weekly news.  There seems
to be something up with the dogbowl - perhaps something to do with
ZEO?  Anyways, I can't post it there, so I've submitted it to zope.org
instead for now.  It might appear at

  http://www.zope.org/Members/beacon/20010727/

sometime soon.  In the meantime, a copy is included below.

A quick plea for help: it seems Jon and I can't quite manage
the weekly news every single week.  If anyone else can help out,
it would be really nice.  ZC pay about $900 for each news article you
write.

Only kidding.  (Made you sit up though.)  But you *do* get to know
exactly what's been going on, and of course tons of fan mail in your
inbox.

seb

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Zope Weekly News Number 6

  A mini-news this week.  The weekly news hasn't been weekly for
  a while since your hosts have been too busy.  Here's a quick
  update of the things that might be of interest.  It would
  have been longer, but half of it disappeared into a strange
  emacs wormhole...

Meaningless Statistics

  In the last 3 weeks there have been 556 messages and 98
  contributors.

  Since we started the weekly news there has been an average of
  200 messages per week.

  There are 28 open issues in the Tracker, of which 2 are
  accepted and 26 pending.  3 have been resolved since the last
  news (6th July).

Zope Corp Events

  There have been some fairly major events.  DC became ZC, the
  CVS was migrated on 16th July (don't forget you'll need to do
  a fresh checkout), and Zope 2.4 was released.
  http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope-cmf/2001-July/008501.html

  With the release of Zope 2.4, some minor incompatibilities were
  reported, along with some fixes.  Andrew's been working on
  getting CMFDecor up to date with a new skin.  Even I'm thinking
  of finally taking the ZPT leap - it all looks very cool.
  http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope-cmf/2001-July/008721.html

Workflow Frenzy

  It seems that the most common topic of conversation has been the
  workflow.

  jack-e posted a nice visualisation of the default workflow
  state machine.
  http://cmf.zope.org/Members/jack-e/WorkflowDesign/CMFWorkflow

  Jeff suggested making a workflow which talks XML, in order to
  make a workflow GUI using SVG (Structured Vector Graphics -
  think XML-based flash).
  http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope-cmf/2001-July/008182.html

  The release of OpenWorkflow (which is a Zope workflow engine,
  rather than a CMF engine) prompted some interesting discussion
  about the CMF's workflow offering.
  http://www.zope.org/Members/vds/OpenFlow
  http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope-cmf/2001-July/008714.html

  Exchanges about where responsability for indexing lies
  had us agreeing that the new Events channel is where it's at.
  Tres expects the standalone events module the ZC folks have been
  working on to be in the CVS in the next few weeks.  He also
  revealed that the tooth fairy is *not* a ZC employee.
  http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope-cmf/2001-July/008476.html
  http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope-cmf/2001-July/008622.html

The Windows - Linux Skins Compatibility Thing

  An ongoing bug is closer to being solved: when transfering CMFs between
  platforms, the contents of the skins folders have a habit of disappearing.

  Eric encountered the problem when working with ZEO, and suspected
  '/' versus '\' path names.  Robert confirmed it.
  http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope-cmf/2001-July/008640.html
  http://lists.zope.org/pipermail/zope-cmf/2001-July/008677.html