[Zope-CMF] Using CMF without portal like features

Lynn Walton waltonl@franklin.edu
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 01:20:31 -0500

Thanks for the reply Tres.

> I said: If they can't log in, how do you plan to allow them access?
> You could move the login link up into the 'standard_top_bar', for
> instance.
>
> You said:> I want users who have been given access
> > using the usual ZMI user folders to be able to create CMF Documents in
> > our various subdirectories under the zope site root.

Can't they login to the ZMI rather than the portal to create CMF content?

> >  I believe that many other web developer's are
> > going to have this same need to have some sites that aren't portal
> > oriented for end users, but that still take advantage of the CMF
> > framework for either workflow or separation of presentation and content
> > or both.  So, I'd sure like to see some good tutorial docs geared toward
> > that.
>
> Could be you would write one?

If I get it figured out, I'd be willing. But, while I have some time to put
toward this, the learning curve seems SO steep, that I may forego using CMF at
all.

> > Also, can PageTemplates macro's and tal expressions be used inside a CMF
> > document? Or can they only be used in a PageTemplate document?
>
> Nope;  like DTML, TAL and METAL are *code*, not content;  CMFDocuments
> are *never* supposed to contain code.  If you find yourself thinking,
> "TAL would help here", then you are no longer doing "pure" content
> authoring;  you have slipped on the page designer hat.

OK, thanks for the reminder.

I'm still entertaining the idea of trying to find someone with enough
experience to give me GOOD guidance on using CMF with ZPT in a non-portal like
site for starters, to do some consulting (just telephone ... not in person) to
help answer enough questions to get us rolling.  Anyone who has the experience
and time and interest in doing this kind of consulting, please send me your
name, rates, and *brief* idea of experience pertaining to CMF/ZPT.

Thanks,
Lynn