[Zope-CMF] Re: Chicken and the Egg -- WAS -- Using CMF without portal like features

Lynn Walton waltonl@franklin.edu
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 01:23:39 -0500

I try not to use the mailing list just to post "here here" or "me too" type of
comments.  But in this case I'm going to make an exception because I feel like it
is VERY important that the CMF creators understand that this is how MANY
developer's feel.  I wholeheartedly agree with Amr's comments.

I want desperately to use the CMF, but the docs don't seem to start at anything
like the beginning.  And I agree that what Amr and I are asking for isn't spoon
feeding to a total ignoramus who isn't willing to do any work at all to help
himself, or to a total beginner at web application development.   But, I've been
trying for weeks to get enough info to make a decision to use CMF, and despite
pouring over everything written on the CMF website, I can't put the basics
together.  The docs spend  a lot of time on outlines or the conceptual idea of CMF,
but little on how to really do it. It's leading me to a decision not to use CMF,
which greatly saddens me since I think if there were enough docs that I think I
could put it together faster, and safer, then it would be the best decision for me
to go with.

It really does feel like Amr's "cheezy metaphor" .... that we're having to " spin
my own rope, smelt the iron and make myself the axe and the hooks and the rest of
the climbing gear from scratch".

I'm sympathetic to the folks trying to build and refine the CMF product not having
enough time to do docs too, but it doesn't help my frustration level.

Thanks,
Lynn