[Zope-CMF] Skin Questions

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey@Digicool.com
Thu, 31 May 2001 19:37:52 -0400

On Thursday, May 31, 2001, at 06:26 PM, Chris Withers wrote:

>>> So, my questions are:
>>>
>>> 1. How do I 'set' the skin for each user in this way?
>>

>> You replace the tool with one which implements its interface according
>> your policy.
>
> Wow, that seems a little heavy handed for such a small change.

A design point of the CMF has been to provide means to let people
replace tools and still have the site work "as expected" by implementing
well known interfaces.  It can be a bit heavy handed, but it makes the
CMF less monolithic.    (Less than even the Zope core!).

Granted, some tools are pretty major and do a *lot* out of the box.  The
skins tool is one such culprit.  But even it can be replaced.  Note that
this can be done by subclassing the existing skins tool and overriding
only the desired methods.  Then instantiate the subclass as the
'portal_skins' tool.

If we don't think of everything, hopefully we are defining clearer
extension points to make the system do what is needed.

.jPS