[Zope-CMF] Revisions & CMF

Shane Hathaway shane@digicool.com
Thu, 31 May 2001 19:56:13 -0400

Chris Withers wrote:
> Just to be clear, the proposal is now only dealing with the situation where
> you want to have an active revision and a future revision that will become
> active?

I think that is the primary use case.

> I know of applications where the audit trail is important and you can have
> revisions as follows:
>
> 1 Active revision
> 1 or more Pending revisions (prospective candidates)
> n historical revisions (that each applied to a given date period)

I see this.  Would it make more sense to keep all revisions of specific
objects or to keep only "marked" revisions of specific objects?

As a matter of fact, you may decide you want to keep all revisions of
all objects within a specific part of the hierarchy, which is solved
very well with mounted databases.  www.zope.org/Wikis, which also hosts
dev.zope.org, is still running a mounted ZEO database and it has never
been packed.  Amazing but true, and now if we ever need it we have a
nice long historical trail to look at.  For a big site I'd recommend a
mounted ZEOfied bsddb3storage.

> ...the example I'm thinking of is keeping track of legislative documents.
> You will have one active revision. However, you need all the old historical
> revisions and the dates during which they were applicable (for long running
> trials/investigations/etc) You may also have several candidate revisions
> which are currently under review, one of which will become active with the
> others falling by the wayside.

Some time I need to find out whether bsddb3storage supports concurrent
versions.

> The content type I proposed would cover this and is quite simple to
> implement should anyone need it, so I'm not saying the revisions tool
> _should_ deal with the above, just as long as people are aware that it
> doesn't.

Maybe it will, it just depends on the submitted use cases.

Shane