[Zope-CMF] Need for portal_url tool?

Ken Manheimer klm@digicool.com
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 14:27:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, marc lindahl wrote:

> I'm using it for navigation (just as folder_contents does), to keep people
> from 'popping out' of the portal...
>
> > From: "Chris Withers" <chrisw@nipltd.com>
> > Just wondering if there's a real need for the portal_url tool.
> >
> > Surely all portal content will have an absolute_url method which takes
> > virtual hosting into account and will probably be more reliable?

The provides for getting a relative url for an object relative to another,
and i think other things.  It's more than just absolute URL.  Further, it
reduces clutter in the interface to a content object - when we want to add
more url-related functionality, we put it in the tool, and people know to
look there for that functionality.

(There's valid reasons on both sides of the argument about where to put
the functionality, but the CMF stresses lightweight content objects, and
the model seems to be going well - tool proliferation notwithstanding...)

Ken
klm@digicool.com