[Zope-CMF] Mailing List / Weblog cross

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 19:20:54 +0100

* Chris Withers <chrisw@nipltd.com> [010611 14:11]:
> seb bacon wrote:
> >
> > We have a client who wants an extranet which indexes email, so I'm
> > going to use ZMailIn and a CMF Mail type to store mails.  It'd be nice
> > to thread them automatically too, and perhaps in fact add a mailing
> > list management interface, but I need to beware of feature creep.
>
> This sounds a lot like some of the stuff I want in Swishdot 1.0 ;-)
> Although I'd prefer to leave the management stuff in the workflow tool so people
> can customize it as needs exist.
> That way, you can also think about more funky things like only subscribing to
> threads the system knows you're interested in...

Could you explain with an example?  I'm trying to work outhow an
object's state relates to a member's interests.

> In essence, my aim for Swishdot is a Weblog/Mailist List cross, without the
> mailing list problem of either subscribing to everything or nothing.
>
> What do you think about my idea for a portal_mail tool?

It sounds like a good idea for a ZMailIn replacement, so procmail or
whatever mta you like has an item of a known id at which it can post
mail.  I'm not so sure for Mailman type stuff - where's the best place
to store subscription information?  I've been storing it on an object
- perhaps it should go in a catalog of its own?

seb