[Zope-CMF] CMF-Wiki

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:10:17 -0400

Dan L. Pierson wrote:

> --On Monday, June 11, 2001 02:59:42 PM -0400 Ken Manheimer
> <klm@digicool.com> wrote:
>
>> Again, thanks for making this clear to people.  Since the CMF is
>> moving to
>> Zope 2.4 dependency, it doesn't make a lot of sense to work to hard on
>> solving this for the general case - really, it's a workaround to enable
>> people to use it outside its intended context...
>

> I really, really hope this isn't happening too fast.  We're about to put
> CMF 1.1 into production with Zope 2.3.2.  One of the promises I had to
> make to do this was to not move to Zope 2.4+ for at least six months.
> One of the reasons I was willing to do that was that Zope x.y.z where z
>  >= 2 have been a lot more stable than .0 (or even .1) versions.  At
> this point I'd be very reluctant to consider z .0 or .1 release for
> production.
>
> If CMF rapidly becomes dependent on (the still unreleased Zope 2.4),
> we'll be unable to use or contribute to new features for some period of
> time.
>
> My understanding was that one of the reasons that CMF is not part of the
> Zope core was to prevent lockstep version dependencies like this.

To clarify:  CMFWiki exists to support the migration of Zope.org
onto the CMF.  It will be running atop Zope 2.4 there.  The CMF
product will *not* be dependent on Zope 2.4 for some months, at least,
although some features might be less useful (or unimplemented) when
running atop Zope 2.3.2.  (Think "CMFDecor and ZPT").

I think that Ken's comment stems from the fact that he is particularly
keen for some of these features to support his "organization objects"
stuff (path indexes, and other drop-in index types).

Hope that helps!

Tres.