[Zope-CMF] Mailing List / Weblog cross

Jon Edwards jon@pcgs.freeserve.co.uk
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 00:12:47 +0100

seb wrote:

> Could you explain with an example?  I'm trying to work >outhow an
> object's state relates to a member's interests.

Mind if I chime in with my perceived use-cases? This would be a great
addition to the CMF! I'm assuming only members can subscribe?

I think this relates to the personalisation thread. A member could
specifically subscribe to a page or discussion (a composite-doc object?).
Whenever that page was updated an event would fire (via the proposed
portal_events tool?) that would tell the portal_mail tool to send an email
to everyone who had subscribed to that page (either a simple notification,
or perhaps the plain text version of the change?). Maybe you need an
additional tool in between, portal_subscription?

Alternatively, a member subscribes to a subject (by declaring it as an
interest on his/her member-page). Whenever an item is added (or updated?)
with that subject, it fires off a message.

One of the reasons I think it's better to separate the subscriptions into a
separate tool is that you might not always want a change to fire off an
email? You might want it to send an IM via Jabber, or to update a list of
"latest changes" on the member's home-page. Separating subscriptions means
the subscription tool can fire the change-message at portal_mail, or
portal_IM, or any other tool, depending on the users choices? The
subscription tool would pass the message and a list of relevant subscribers
to the appropriate tool(s).

Hope that makes sense, it's late and I'm thinking aloud!

Cheers, Jon