[Zope-CMF] WYSIWYG HTML document edit form

Jon Edwards jon@pcgs.freeserve.co.uk
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 15:38:16 +0100

Thanks for the feedback! Comments below...

Good idea! We were thinking about something similar (though I think
ZStylsheets is a bit more complex than necessary).

Jon >> 2 things appealed to me about ZStylesheets (apart from the fact that
someone else has already done the work!) -

1. It splits the stylesheet up into separate "styles". That seems to make
things easier - you could share styles across several CMF instances or sites
(within the same ZODB), you can split site-styles into "groups" with
different access permissions (a "site-wide" group that only the senior
editor can change, a "page-level" group that section/page editors can
change, a "text-editing" group that is used by the WYSIWYG editor, a
"draft/testing" group that allows deisgners to try out colour-schemes
without affecting the whole site), you can have "IE only" or "NS only"
versions of the same style.... and possible other uses?

2. It has built-in browser-sniffing and redirection. <<Jon

Binding it to the stylesheets seems to be more straightforward. On the other
hand, having the "Site Style Guide" autocreate a stylesheet AND the stuff
you need for the HTML editor would be cool, too ...

Jon >> and link this to the "color-picker/preview" idea I forwarded from my
chat with Marc? <<Jon

Very good. Same for images!

Jon >> good idea! a "shared-image repository" in a skins-folder perhaps? <<
Jon

We at iuveno did HTML WYSIWYG editing in Kontentor, too. We used a slightly
changed "IEMethod". But your code is much more compact (e.g. you use a
single gif instead of many, and you don't need additional javascript files)
and seems to render faster.

Jon >> I remember seeing a Zope HowTo about storing common Javascripts in a
dtml-method, which might also help with speed? <<Jon

 I am still evaluating CMF and do not really like
it too much, but there is some chance that we start porting Kontentor stuff
to CMF anyway.

Jon >> I hope you do! :-)  ...if you made alternate portal_tools for the
ones you don't like, people could pick and choose which ones suited their
needs best? Plug-and-play (almost)!! << Jon

You should maybe do a browser check to make sure that non-IE users do at
least get the basic view

Jon >> see comment above about browser-sniffer in ZStylesheets <<Jon

I've seen in the "source view" that the WYSIWYG editor is not
XHMTL-compliant (upper-case letters in tags etc.). Can that be changed? It
seems to be hard-wired into the Microsoft code you are using, yes?

Jon >> most can be fixed in the code, I'll scan through and see if anything
can't! <<Jon

One last question: What's the license of your "thingy"?

Jon >> Good question! I downloaded the original from a site which has now
disappeared, then hacked it to suit. Their "license" was basically "Use it
wherever you want, just send us an email" ...which of course is impossible
now!

I'm pretty new to open-source so I'm unsure? I suspect a lot of the code
came from examples on MSDN originally, so it might be tricky to GPL it? ;-)

I suggest whatever license makes it most usable for most people! ZPL? or
none/freeware?

Cheers, Jon