[Zope-CMF] Skins

Dan L. Pierson dan@control.com
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 10:03:07 -0400

--On Thursday, June 21, 2001 11:02:27 AM +0200 James van der Veen
<james@codenamefuture.nl> wrote:

> I have added a Folder to the CMFDefault/skins dir. called school. I added
> some docs I want to add to the custom skin every time I make a portal.
> Well All is fine till now .. I restart zope create a new portal and my
> skin is in the skins folder. And here comes the BUT...
> The Docs are still protected (like the generic and contents etc folders).
> I would like the docs in my school folder to be unlocked sothe portal
> mangers can change them in the same school dir.

Well I'm not a guru (sorry Cyrille :-)), but:

The bad news:
Documents in filesystem skin folders cannot be modified through the web.
This is a basic design decision for skins, though some disagree with it.  I
like it
and enforce filesystem skin documents for us because it means that all
(well, most) of our UI logic can be maintained and copied from machine to
machine
by CVS independently of the site content.

The good news:
There are two types of skin folders: Filesystem Directory Views (a.k.a.
filesystem skin folders) and normal Portal Folders.  If you create a Portal
Folder in your portal_skins tool, any document in it can participate in the
skin logic and be through the web editable (and ONLY through the web
editable).
You can create as many of these folders as you wish.

If you open a document in a Filesystem Directory View, you will see two
controls above the read-only text of the document: a combo box that lists
all of the Portal Folders in the portal_skins tool, and a button labled
Customize.  Select the folder you want and press the button and a through
the web editable copy of the document will appear in that folder.

Skins themselves are nothing but a sequence of folders to search for
documents.  They are defined in the Properties tab of the portal_skins
tool.  The first document with the desired id found searching these
folders in the left to right order they are listed will be used.  Therefore,
Portal Folders are generally put ahead of Filesystem Directory Views in
these lists.