Member Page options (was Re : [Zope-CMF] get a members name / 'project' object into a member folder)

Jon Edwards jon@pcgs.freeserve.co.uk
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 11:23:32 +0100

That should work... security isn't an issue for me yet, as we're still in
beta, so I just verbally tell our testers/users what they can and can't do!
:-)

Could I ask how other people are using the Members page/folder?

I've gone through at least four different designs so far, and come to the
conclusion there is no one-size-fits-all answer (at least for my users)! I'm
thinking of making simple forms to allow members to configure their own page
as they want it.

>From my attempts so far, and the discussions on subscription,
personalisation, workflow, etc, I can see the following possible uses for a
member's page/folder (assuming a fairly large site or intranet with many
users, where the member's page acts as their personal
portal-into-the-portal) -

- MyFavorites - a box listing their CMF-favorites, but I also show the
last-modified date, so they can see at a glance what has changed

- MyLinks - list their CMF-links (anyone know a quick, reliable way to check
if an external page has changed - maybe a link-checker add-on that could be
run at scheduled intervals?) - there's also potential for sharing and
ranking links within an organisation to create a shared "knowledge-base" of
resources. (That's what I was hinting at with the list of Zope/Windows links
I posted - http://cmf.zope.org/Members/joned/winstuff, but I don't think I
explained myself very well! :-)

- MyWeblog - using the Blark Weblog - can be set as "public" or
"members-only"?

- MyNewsfeeds - external newsfeeds via RSS, or internal via FSS - add a
facility to copy a newsitem to MyWeblog (where you add your comments), and
you have a simple version of RadioUserland

- MySubscriptions/Interests - user subscribes to a topic/subject, and is
informed whenever something is added relevant to that topic (see also the
Personalisation ideas posted by Bjorn, and Seb/Chris' ideas on integrating
mailinglist functionality, so you could be emailed a "daily-update")

- MyWorkflow - a summary of the objects the user is working on, or those
that are awaiting his review (or other workflow action) - perhaps divided
into the different workgroups he belongs to, if you're using Workgroups?

- MyCalendar/Emails/Contacts - something for the future! Integrate
Worldpilot/GUM/somethingelse with your intranet CMF, and you have everything
together in one handy app! World-domination beckons! ;-)

(Note, I don't like the "My....." notation, it's just a simple way to
describe it for now)

Hope that all makes sense?

Cheers, Jon